ABE 062 English 2 • V1-10 Cr.
Emphasizes development of strategies to effectively communicate in English for high school completion, and college and career readiness. Students read and report on books, short stories, graphs, maps, and informational text that relate to social studies, science and literature. Students meet composition objectives by writing complete sentences in short answers, notes, and paragraphs. Students build their vocabulary for reading and writing as well as improve spelling and technology skills. Prerequisite: ABE Orientation and advising.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Locate and use key details from a text
- Determine the meaning of general academic words and phrases
- Determine the main idea and describe how reasons support the author's point of view
- Compare and contrast important points between two texts on the same topic
- Develop and organize writing to convey opinions, explanation, stories and research
- Use technology to research and report on topics of historical and scientific significance