ABE 064 English 4 • V1-10 Cr.
Emphasizes development of strategies to effectively communicate in English for high school completion, and college and career readiness. Students read and report on fiction and non-fiction texts that relate to social studies, science and literature. Students meet composition objectives by writing well-organized and well-developed paragraphs and essays. Students develop their technology skills to complete a variety of tasks. Prerequisite: ABE Orientation and advising.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Cite strong and thorough evidence and inferences from a text
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text
- Determine and summarize the theme, development and conclusion of a text
- Analyze a complex set of ideas or sequence of events to explain how individuals, ideas, or events interact and develop over the course of a text
- Analyze and evaluate an author's claim and the effectiveness of the structure of a text
- Use the writing process to convey ideas, concepts, explanations & research
- Use information from multiple sources on the same topic to write arguments and reports that support ideas with clear evidence
- Use technology to produce, publish, and update writing products