ACCT 234 Managerial Accounting • 5 Cr.
Explores the use of managerial accounting techniques and analytical tools in business decision-making. Students focus on short- and long-range financial planning, management planning, and control. Prerequisite: ACCT 102 or ACCT& 202 with a grade of C or better, or entry code.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the types and flow of manufacturing and non-manufacturing costs.
- Determine and apply overhead costs in job-order, activity based, and process costing systems.
- Distinguish the overhead application in variable and absorption costing systems.
- Calculate targeted profit levels and perform a cost-volume-profit analysis.
- Prepare and use master and flexible budgets, and analyze variances to evaluate performance.
- Calculate return on investment and construct a balanced scorecard.
- Evaluate investments and projects by calculating and using the net present value, internal rate of return and payback methods.
- Discuss the use and application of ethics in managerial accounting.