AHEA 104 Introduction to Billing and Coding • 5 Cr.
Introduces Medical Billing & Coding procedures including insurance coverage, terminology, payment systems, legal and ethical issues, healthcare compliance, and collections, and common coding systems such as ICD and CPT. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL& 101, or completion of ENGL 092 or 093 with a C or better. Successful completion of AHE 100, AHE 110, and BTS 161 with a C or better, or permission of Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define terminology, abbreviations, coding systems, and billing structures related to medical billing & coding.
- Define and apply concepts of ethical billing & coding practice.
- Use common billing & coding systems.
- Apply basic coding procedures to common billing situations.
- Apply communication strategies to interact with insurance companies, patients and providers.