AHEA 118 Health Unit Coordinator Practicum • 5 Cr.
Capstone course of the Health Unit Coordinator program allows students an opportunity to apply skills learned in the classroom. Students perform functions required in a nursing unit and are monitored and supervised by an experienced Health Unit Coordinator. Prerequisite: Completion of AHEA 110 and AHEA 112 with a C or better at BC, and permission of Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Communicate effectively and professionally with workplace patients and staff
- Perform admissions, discharges, internal and outside transfers
- Accurately transcribe medication, laboratory, diagnostic imaging, electrocardiograms, electroencephalograms, activity, positioning and therapeutic orders
- Perform job-related technical tasks utilizing computer software
- Demonstrate awareness and respect for cultural differences
- Identify emergency code procedures for the hospital setting