AHEA 120 Intermediate Medical Coding • 5 Cr.
Students gain an intermediate knowledge and application of medical coding including ICD-9, ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS, and hospital coding systems. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL&101, or completion of ENGL 092 or 093, with a C or better. Successful completion of AHEA 104 and AHEA 106 with a C or better at BC, or permission of Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain a variety of coding systems, including CPT, HCPCS, ICD-9, ICD-10, as well as DRG.
- Differentiate rules for a variety of insurance systems and scenarios.
- Explain the impact of correct vs. incorrect coding on reimbursement.
- Demonstrate the ability to abstract both outpatient and inpatient medical reports.
- Demonstrate the ability to assign correct procedural and diagnostic codes to both outpatient and inpatient medical reports.