AHEA 122 Intermediate Medical Billing • 5 Cr.
Students gain an intermediate knowledge of medical billing and reimbursement procedures including insurance coverage, terminology, payment systems, legal and ethical issues, healthcare compliance, and collections. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL&101, or completion of ENGL 092 or 093, with a C or better. Successful completion of AHEA 104 and AHEA 106 with a C or better at BC, or permission of Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform accurate completion and processing of reimbursement documentation
- Apply third party guidelines to the reimbursement process
- Demonstrate assertive communication with managed care and/or insurance providers
- Demonstrate sensitivity in communicating with both providers and patients
- Differentiate language the patient can understand regarding managed care and insurance plans
- Discuss comprehension of legal and ethical issues related to medical insurance