AHEA 124 Advanced Medical Billing and Coding • 5 Cr.
This course expands on intermediate medical billing & coding procedures by providing the knowledge and skills to assess, evaluate, and trouble shoot these systems. This course will also include some industry certification preparation. Prerequisite: Successful completion of both AHEA 120 and AHEA 122 with a C or better at BC, or permission of Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Differentiate cause and effects for the rejected claims troubleshooting process.
- Explain industry certification options.
- Critique a variety of coding systems, including CPT, HCPCS, ICD-9, ICD-10, as well as DRG.
- Assess the rules for a variety of insurance systems and scenarios (Medicare vs. commercial insurance, for example).
- Support the impact of correct vs. incorrect coding on reimbursement outcomes.
- Evaluate correct procedural and diagnostic codes for both outpatient and inpatient medical reports.
- Interpret appropriate communication strategies for a variety of scenarios in the Medical Billing & Coding profession.