AHEL 118 Phlebotomy Practicum • 5 Cr.
Provides practical experience in the role of the phlebotomy technician. Prerequisite: Completion of both AHEL 110 and AHEL 112 at BC with a C or better and permission of Program Chair, with no more than one quater between completion of AHEL 112 and enrollment in AHEL 118. Grading: Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Apply the knowledge of medical laboratory policy and procedures through orientation at a clinical facility.
- Perform 100 or more successful venipunctures.
- Perform or observe capillary punctures.
- Complete ASCP requirement of orientation to a CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act) regulated full-service laboratory.
- Complete accurate documentation of clinical roles and procedures at a clinical facility.