AHEL 130 Clinical Laboratory Applications • 3 Cr.
In this course students will reinforce existing skills obtained in the CLA series. Application of phlebotomy skills, point of care testing, and lab automation gained through prior course work will be presented in case studies. Job preparedness will also be a focus of this course. Prerequisites: completion of AHEL 120 and AHEL 122 with a C or better at BC AND permission of Program Chair. No more than one quarter between completion of AHEL 122 and enrollment in AHEL 130.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify appropriate point of care test to perform on a patient based on laboratory requisition information.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills for proper sample collection, testing, and processing techniques.
- Apply quality assurance and safety techniques.
- Produce a professional portfolio including resume, cover letter, common interview questions, and scope of practice.
- Discuss successful interview techniques