AHEM 120 Clinical Medicine • 3 Cr.
This is the first in a cohort of courses focused on Medical Assistant skills. The course covers the basic knowledge and skills to assist with rooming patients in the clinical setting, including History & Physical, Vital Signs and patient preparation for the provider consult. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL&101, or completion of ENGL 092 or 093 with a C or better. Successful completion of AHEL 110, 120; AHEP 100, 101 with a C or better at BC or permission of Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Apply appropriate triage methodologies based on patient presentation and/or clinical scheduling.
- Differentiate the appropriate skills for conducting a patient History & Physical as a Medical Assistant.
- Demonstrate accurate and reliable measurements for Anthropometrics.
- Demonstrate accurate and reliable measurements for Vitals.
- Produce accurate and reliable documentation for the patient medical record from data collected for History, Physical, Anthropometrics, and Vitals.
- Employ empathetic and consistent methodologies for preparing patients in the clinical setting.