AHEM 122 Clinical Procedures • 3 Cr.
This is the second in a series of courses covering Medical Assistant skills. The focus is on clinical procedures, preparation and set up, sterile fields, instrument handing and sterilizing, procedure follow up and education. Prerequisite: Concurrent enrollment in AHEM 120 or permission of Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the role and function of the clinical medical assistant.
- Distinguish and use appropriate clinical procedures.
- Perform basic clinical skills, including sterile field set-up, instrument sterilization, bandaging, procedure set up.
- Apply correct documentation procedures with traditional and computerized systems.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with workplace patients and staff.
- Apply safety practices for the medical office.