AHEM 124 Diagnostic Medicine • 3 Cr.
This is the third in a series of courses on Medical Assistant skills. The focus is on diagnostic testing in the clinical setting including CLIA-waived Point-of-care testing, ECG, Spirometry. Prerequisite: Concurrent enrollment in AHEM 120 or permission of Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the role and function of the clinical medical assistant.
- Distinguish and use appropriate diagnostic procedures.
- Perform CLIA-waived lab tests, including urinalysis, POC chemistry and hematology tests, and microbiology testing.
- Perform Electrocardiography and spirometry testing.
- Apply correct documentation procedures with traditional and computerized systems.
- Communicate effectively and professionally with workplace patients and staff.
- Apply safety practices for the medical office.