ANTH 232 Film and Culture • 5 Cr.
Documentary films are a popular way to examine real life that often rivals Hollywood. Combining the methods of film-making with the lens of anthropology offers students the perspective of visual anthropology. This field broadens your horizons by analyzing films from around the world and delving into the history, methods, and theories of the industry. Experiential learning through production of documentaries. Recommended: ANTH& 100.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history of cultural studies and ethnographic film-making.
- Explain the theories applied to the production of ethnographic films.
- Specify the historical, ethical, and cultural perspectives of an ethnographic film.
- Evaluate the criteria used to select an appropriate subject for an ethnographic film.
- Illustrate the relevance of perspective in the study of culture in general and ethnographic films in particular.