ARAB 121 Arabic I • 5 Cr.
Continues ARAB 121. Recommended: ARAB 121, one year of High School or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Pronounce sounds, letters, and words using the modern standard Arabic alphabet, mastering the Arabic letters in both the written and the phonetic forms
- Apply simple grammatical structures to daily communication; describing people, places, and things and common interpersonal transactions and protocols, using courtesy phrases and formal and informal address
- Identify and discuss components of Arabic culture: history, geography, living space, social interactions, and various Arabic dialects
- Distinguish both verbal and nominal genders and understand that Arabic is a verb based language. (trilateral root)
- Write simple paragraphs using the present tense, some prepositions, and simple agreement between nouns and adjectives. Comprehend meaning and understand new words in context