ART 111 Design Color • 5 Cr.
Continues ART 110, with emphasis on color theory. Students analyze environmental color and apply color concepts and paint techniques to their design work. Includes six hours of laboratory. Requires additional lab time outside class. Prerequisite: ART 110.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify and apply the three main components of color - Hue, Value, & Intensity
- Identify how colors interact with one another and understand the relative nature of color
- Be able to analyze a given color and assess what colors (primaries with black & white) are needed to mix it
- Understand and employ color theory vocabulary
- Understand and employ color in design composition
- Understand and employ color theory in spatial illusion
- Identify how color and pigments have been generally used throughout the history of painting