CHIN& 121 Chinese I • 5 Cr.
Introduces basic functional language ability by acquiring vocabulary and skills in grammar, pronunciation, and the Pinyin (Romanized) writing system. Students practice sounds and tones, vocabulary, grammatical constructions and practice pronunciation and Chinese characters writing. Includes listening, speaking, reading and writing skills using traditional and simplified characters. Course includes elements of Chinese culture, art, and music.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify thirty action words.
- Write Chinese character equivalents of those action words.
- Summarize the main points of a short passage on an everyday topic.
- Read and comprehend a passage written in Chinese characters about someone's background.
- Use a Chinese word processor to write a passage that has fewer than four errors.
- Compose a calligraphic work in manuscript form, applying traditional aesthetic principles.