CHIN& 123 Chinese III • 5 Cr.
Further expands functional language ability in spoken and written Chinese. Students practice sounds and tones, vocabulary, and grammatical constructions and both traditional and both traditional and simplified characters and practice using Chinese in authentic situations. Continues understanding of Chinese culture. Recommended: CHIN& 122, two years of High School or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify time descriptive words.
- Write Chinese character equivalents of those time words.
- Summarize with few errors a short passage on an everyday topic.
- Present a two minute speech in Chinese and convey ten facts about their culture with few errors.
- Read and comprehend a passage written in Chinese characters about someone's culture.
- Use a Chinese word processor and write a passage about someone's culture that has fewer than four errors.
- Compose a calligraphic work in cursive form applying traditional aesthetic principles.
- Spring 2019 (current quarter)