CMST 143 Editing Techniques • 3 Cr.
Applies the techniques and responsibilities of newspaper editing. Students practice copy reading and headline writing.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Write leads and headlines
- Refine punctuation, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills to achieve error-free text
- Analyze and edit writing for story structure, newsworthiness, consistency and audience-appropriateness
- Apply libel laws, ethics and judgment in the editing of newswriting
- Recognize and apply the Associated Press (AP) style guidelines in editing news stories
- Recognize, critically read and evaluate professional journalistic writing
- Fall 2019 (current quarter)