CMST 285 Nonverbal Communication • 5 Cr.
Examines non-verbal behavior and its role in the communication process. Topics include body language, space, touch, dress, and cultural norms. Students analyze their own non-verbal communication techniques.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the transactional model of communication and discuss its relationship to nonverbal communication.
- Identify the criteria of a competent communicator and be able to self-evaluate one's own nonverbal behavior in terms of personal strengths and challenges in relation to those criteria in a variety of contexts.
- Describe the nonverbal factors that shape one's perception and interpretation of people and events.
- Describe & apply the major codes of nonverbal communication in a variety of contexts.
- Explain the differences between verbal and nonverbal linguistics.
- Identify situations in which one has experienced communication failure due to poor nonverbal language skills and discuss methods to improve future interactions.
- Analyze the influence of sex, gender, and culture on nonverbal communication.
- Spring 2020 (current quarter)