CS 481 Senior Capstone I • 3 Cr.
This course focuses on literature review, requirement specification, project management, initial design and prototyping of the three-quarter long computer science project. Students work in teams and are given milestones. The course includes lectures, reading assignments and guest speakers on development process, team working, report writing and emerging trends in computer science. Prerequisites: CS 410 with a C or better and admission to BS CS program, or instructor's permission.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Follow a formal software development process to complete the project
- Write a project management plan to describe the team's management process including project milestones and timelines
- Prepare a requirements specifications document describing the expected features, constraints, interfaces and other attributes
- Write an initial design document describing of how the product is to be implemented and which tools and techniques that are needed to complete the project
- Implement at least two key features of the product
- Perform independent learning of new technologies and concepts in order to complete the project
- Work productively in a team environment communicating appropriately with all team members
- Identify key ethical and legal issues affecting computer science projects