DANCE 141 Ballet Technique II • 2 Cr.
Expansion of the principles, techniques, and vocabulary of classical ballet. Students continue to develop in all areas of technique as they gain flexibility, strength and coordination. For advanced beginning, intermediate and continuing students. May be repeated for a maximum of 6 credits. Prerequisite: DANCE 140 or equivalent.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform fundamental ballet conditioning exercises.
- Illustrate how a system of practice exercises at the barre prepares dancers for proper ballet technique. Improve physical fitness and cultivate self-expression.
- Identify basic ballet movements using French terminology.
- Describe the composition of a dancer's line and form and apply correct body alignment and posture to ballet technique.
- Analyze the way in which acquired skills developed at the barre coordinate with movements in the center and across the floor.
- Explain how musical phrasing is used in ballet.
- Explain how the mechanics of ballet technique can be used to progress toward a mastery of other dance styles.