DOSM 400 Treatment Planning System Lab • 2 Cr.
Through a series of structured lab exercises, students receive hands-on experience using a Medical Dosimetry Treatment Planning System. Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Name various treatment planning systems (TPS).
- Describe the "dos and don'ts" of the Eclipse (TPS) when using in the lab setting.
- State the procedure for powering up, down, and booting up Eclipse servers in lab setting.
- Demonstrate navigation of the Eclipse desktop, mouse actions, and basic windows commands.
- Create 3D volume images, courses, and structure sets.
- Demonstrate the use of the various Eclipse contouring tools.
- Create treatment fields (beams), prescription, reference points, within a treatment plan.
- Evaluate the effect on the dose distribution when changing the beam energy.
- Apply appropriate calculation algorithm and the dose grid when calculating a dose distribution.
- Evaluate the effect on the dose distribution by changes in the weighting and normalization of beams.
- Evaluate a treatment plan using the dose volume histogram (DVH) tool, multi-plane view, and 3D display tool.
- Describe the process for exporting plans to Record and Verify (R & V).
- Discuss the scheduling of plans and the safety benefit of R & V.
- Fall 2020 (current quarter)