DRMA 254 Musical Theatre Scene Study • 3 Cr.
Continues skill building in the art and craft of acting in musical theatre. Practical application of singing and acting to perform scenes, songs, and duets from musical theatre are highlighted. Duets and through sung scene work will be highlighted. Prerequisite: DRMA 154 or permission of instructor. Recommended: DRMA 251.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify a character's objective and obstacle in a musical, a musical scene and a song.
- Identify and use the music, lyric, and speech of a character, and know how each impacts the other.
- Use a variety of warms ups for rehearsal and performance.
- Maintain concentration while singing, acting and moving onstage.
- Pursue objective and intent equally while singing and acting in both song and speech.
- Present a musical scene that is theatrically truthful and musically sound.