ECED& 107 Health, Safety, and Nutrition • 5 Cr.
Introduction to implementation of equitable health, safety and nutrition standards for the growing child in group care. Focus on federal Child Care Block Grant funding (CCDF) requirements, WA state licensing and Head Start Performance standards. Develop skills necessary to keep children healthy & safe, report abuse & neglect, and connect families to community resources.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe federal and state-mandated health, safety, and nutrition practices.
- Identify indicators of illnesses/ infectious diseases and steps to prevent the spread of them.
- Outline safety procedures for providing emergency care and daily care.
- Evaluate program safety policies.
- Describe food programs and practices that support the development of children.
- Create examples of developmentally appropriate and culturally responsive health, safety, and nutrition education materials and activities.
- Describe the responsibilities of mandated reporters.
- Develop strategies for working with culturally, linguistically, and ability diverse families in accessing health, nutritional, and dental services.