ECED 192 Early Childhood Education Practicum II • 4 Cr.
Design, plan, and evaluate curriculum for young children. Related topics include: lesson planning, environmental arrangement, the appropriate use of learning materials, and making positive connections with young children. Includes six hours per week of supervised laboratory participation. Prerequisite: ECED 191 with a C or better, and permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate the planning, implementation, and evaluation of developmentally appropriate practices through working in a classroom for young children, under supervision of a mentor teacher.
- Demonstrate the ability to facilitate children's learning during individual, small and large group play-based activities, with sensitivity to individual and group needs.
- Demonstrate techniques for communicating effectively with young children, using positive guidance techniques, and sensitivity to individual differences.
- Document children's experiences and learning in a format that can be shared with children, colleagues, and families.
- Design and implement a research project with practical application to an early childhood education setting.
- Develop a professional portfolio documenting understanding of the NAEYC Core Standards for Teachers of Young Children.
- Demonstrate understanding and respect for professional and ethical guidelines for early childhood educators.