EDUC& 136 School Age Care • 3 Cr.
Develop skills to provide developmentally appropriate and culturally relevant activities/care for children ages 5-12 years in a variety of settings. Topics include implementation of curriculum, preparation of environments, building relationships, guiding cognitive and social-emotional development, and community outreach. Recommended: ECED 105.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the physical, cognitive, social and emotional stages of children ages 5-12.
- Develop a plan to create reciprocal and culturally sensitive relationships with children and families.
- Analyze the effectiveness of an environment and recommend changes that are culturally retentive, developmentally appropriate, and conducive to positive social interactions.
- Identify guidance strategies that promote cognitive and social growth in the context of school-age care environment.
- Describe state and local school-age care regulations and procedures related to group size, health, nutrition and safety.
- Describe strategies supporting a curriculum that is developmentally appropriate and culturally responsive.
- Identify community resources supporting school-age care/youth development program personnel.