EDUC& 150 Child, Family, Community • 3 Cr.
Integrate the family and community contexts in which a child develops. Explore cultures and demographics of families in society, community resources, strategies for involving families in the education of their child, and tools for effective communication.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Evaluate and describe the cultural influences, social issues, changes and transitions that affect children, families, schools and communities.
- Examine the concept of family, school, peers, media and community as socialization agents.
- Analyze strategies that empower families to establish and maintain collaborative relationships to support the growth and development of children.
- Identify how one's own family history and life experiences may impact relationships with children and families.
- Identify community services and agencies that support the needs of children and families and establish resource and referral systems for parents and educators.