EDUC& 205 Introduction to Education with Field Experience • 5 Cr.
A survey of history, philosophy, principles, issues, and trends in American Education. Includes opportunities for observations of educational models and exploration of career paths. Format includes lecture and discussion.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
1. Describe the history, philosophy and principles of the American education system.
2. Discuss current issues, trends, and career opportunities in Education.
3. Describe current principles of behavior guidance and their influence on learning.
4. Compare and contrast developmentally appropriate instruction and assessment strategies.
5. Recognize the need to differentiate curriculum and instruction to meet the needs of culturally, linguistically, and ability diverse students.
6. Explain how teaching and learning are influenced by individual experiences, abilities, culture, and prior learning.
7. Describe the impact of America's changing demographics and the implications for the classroom.
8. Define the role of the educator in the program setting.