EDUC 240 Culture & Human Diversity in Education • 3 Cr.
Students will explore diversity and social justice issues influencing educational settings. Students will examine in depth the historical and current impact of children's, teachers' and families' cultural, social and political contexts in schools.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define and apply key terms and concepts of diversity, inclusion and social justice.
- Explain how implicit bias can influence relationships and identity development.
- Identify how systematic power, privilege, and oppression impacts educational systems and the individuals within those systems.
- Describe how professional teaching practice is influenced by personal, social and cultural contexts.
- Deconstruct biases, stereotypes, and microaggressions present in the school setting.
- Articulate how an individual's family structure, culture, social, emotional and political contexts may impact learning.
- Winter 2020 (current quarter)