ELIUP 031 Writing Level I • 5 Cr.
Introduction and practice of sentence structure, question patterns, verb tenses, and parts of speech. Students practice academic and creative writing assignments focusing on the sentence, and learn and practice the writing process. Course is linked with ELIUP 032. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Use correct level one grammar
- Write different simple sentence patterns
- Brainstorm and free-write to get ideas
- Tell a story, or describe a person or a place
- Use periods, question marks, and capital letters correctly
- Use a dictionary to correct spelling errors Use correct paragraph format
- Work in pairs and small groups to improve writing