ELIUP 080 Academic Preparation • 10 Cr.
Students learn and practice critical thinking, study skills, research techniques, and listening, speaking, reading, and writing in the content areas. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Think critically about college-level content; connect issues in the course to local and global communities.
- Use active reading, listening, and discussion strategies.
- Summarize and paraphrase academic materials orally and in writing.
- Speak and write English clearly and effectively.
- Plan and deliver effective individual and group presentations.
- Gather and evaluate information on a topic using library databases and other research tools.
- Use proactive study skills.