ENGL& 112 Introduction to Fiction • 5 Cr.
Introduces fiction through short stories and one or more novels. Students learn close reading techniques and analyze the qualities of fictional literature. Recommended: ENGL& 101 placement or higher.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define and identify various literary techniques and terminology such as plot, characterization, setting, point of view, irony and symbolism
- Demonstrate close reading skills in terms of both literal and inferential reading.
- Demonstrate and awareness of history, philosophy, and culture as reflected in the fiction
- Identify major themes and ideas in fiction
- Recognize how style relates to content in various writer' works
- Apply the analytical process to works of fiction
- Apply writing skills to analyzing fictions