ENGL& 224 Shakespeare I • 5 Cr.
Surveys the development of Shakespeare's dramatic and literary art. Students read and analyze representative comedies, tragedies, romances, and histories. Lecture/discussion format. Recommended: ENGL& 101 or ENGL 201 or a literature course in the 100 series.
Recommended: ENGL& 101 or ENGL 201 or a literature course in the 100 series.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a comfortable level of reading and understanding the language of Shakespeare in poems and plays.
- Show a sense of Elizabethan culture and history in discussions and writing.
- Explain the difference between early and late plays, to demonstrate awareness of Shakespeare's development as an artist.
- Develop a process for analyzing plays and sonnets.
- Demonstrate improved inferential skills in discussions and writing.
- Discuss both comedies and tragedies with insight.
- Identify controlling ideas and themes characteristic of Shakespeare's plays.
- Develop writing-about-literature skills and techniques.
- Practice effective group skills in collaborative activities.
- Demonstrate oral presentation skills.
- Demonstrate enjoyment in the reading, discussing, and writing about Shakespeare.
- Assess own skills.