ENGL 201 The Research Paper • 5 Cr.
Develops skills required for writing research papers. Students learn research techniques, source analysis, thesis development, argumentation styles, and summarizing. Fulfills a written communication course requirement at BC. Same as ENGL 102. Either ENGL 102 or ENGL 201 may be taken for credit, not both. Prerequisite: ENGL& 101 or equivalent course from another college with a C- or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Locate and evaluate different types of evidence for logic, credibility, reliability, and bias (i.e. primary sources, online and written secondary sources)
- Students will locate, evaluate, critically read, summarize, and effectively integrate research sources.
- Compose humanities style research papers that include an evaluation of different types of evidence to support an original thesis and language appropriate for the audience and purpose
- Synthesize their own writing with a breadth of primary and secondary sources with proper in-text citations and a list of citations to avoid plagiarism
- Develop an original and effectively supported thesis that is appropriately complex and significant