ENGL 226 Literature & Current Issues I • 5 Cr.
Explores major themes and ideas found in literature framed by a chosen current social issue. Selected literature presents the issue from a variety of perspectives and promote a historical, cultural and philosophical understanding of the material on its own terms and in relation to a larger body of literature. Recommended: ENGL& 101 and any 100 level literature course.
Recommended: ENGL& 101 and a literature course in the 100 series.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an awareness of a cultural attitudes, social/political forces, philosophical attitudes presented in the literature from a particular Current Issue.
- Demonstrate an awareness of varying points of view within this current issue
- Identify major themes and ideas
- Recognize how style relates to content in various writers' works
- Apply the analytical process to literary works
- Apply writing skills to analyzing literature
- Fall 2019 (current quarter)