ENGL 247 Writing Poetry I • 5 Cr.
Focuses on the craft of poetry. Covers rhythm, image (simile, metaphor, symbol), voice, tone, and open and traditional forms. Students write and critique poetry and read the work of established poets. Suitable for beginning or experienced poets. Recommended: ENGL& 101 placement or higher.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Control word choices and word order to create a particular mood or tone
- Explore ideas using different tones or personas
- Employ metaphors, similes, symbols and other forms of figurative language
- Employ sound as a device, through alliteration, assonance, etc.
- Use meter and rhyme
- Identify the characteristics of conventional poetic forms, as well as open form poetry
- Critique works in progress
- Edit final drafts in a collection of their poetry
- Identify publication methods for poetry