ENGL 248 Writing Poetry II • 5 Cr.
Continuation of ENGL 247. Prerequisite: ENGL 247 with a C- or better or entry code.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Control word choices and word order to create a particular mood or tone
- Explore ideas using different tones or personas
- Employ metaphors, similes, symbols and other forms of figurative language
- Employ sound as a device, through alliteration, assonance, etc.
- Use meter and rhyme
- Identify the characteristics of conventional poetic forms, as well as open form poetry
- Critique works in progress
- Edit final drafts in a collection of their poetry
- Identify publication methods for poetry
- Fall 2020 (current quarter)