ENGL 271 Expository Writing I • 5 Cr.
Builds on the writing skills learned in ENGL& 101 (prev ENGL 101) or ENGL 201. Students work on personal essays, information and opinion pa pers, reviews, profiles, articles based upon interviews, or other projects. Fulfills a written communication course requirement at BC. Prerequisite: ENGL& 101 or equivalent course from another college with a C- or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify implicitly and/or explicitly one's intentions as a writer.
- Define implicitly and/or explicitly the audience for a particular piece of writing.
- Apply appropriate style, tone and format to the writer's purpose and audience.
- Use rhetorical formats conventional to expository writing.
- Demonstrate objectivity toward one's own writing.
- Demonstrate practical uses/applications for expository writing beyond the college classroom.