FRCH& 123 French III • 5 Cr.
Continues FRCH& 121. Recommended: FRCH& 122, two years of High School or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Accurately transcribe exactly what was heard, answering questions related to the information provided by native speakers.
- Ask and provide general information, and reproducing proper intonation and adapting verbal communication to purpose and audience.
- Explain the main idea of what is read, accounting for the general tone of the writer and category of reading material, giving special attention to the target language punctuation, and deducing meaning about what is read by making educated guesses using cognates, context and previous learning to facilitate comprehension.
- Make inferences based on the text and discuss what is read.
- Write structurally correct affirmative, interrogative and negative sentences of increasing difficulty, mostly in the present tense, or simple past tenses ("passé composé and "imparfait") with minimal orthographic errors.
- Identify basic cultural information introduced through theme-specific vocabulary, photographs, and authentic video material centered on the world of the target language.
- Explain in the first language both differences and similarities between the cultures of the first and target languages.