FRCH 232 Language & Culture Immersion-Basic 2nd Yr French • 5 Cr.
Allows students to use spoken and written French with relative ease (intermediaire avance) to expand their ability to explain a variety of general and specific information using advanced intermediate functional language. Continues FRNCH 221. Students experience complete immersion into 100% French-speaking on-site environment. Portfolio evaluation required to receive credit. Prerequisite: Placement by approved host institution and permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Show in speech & in writing increased mastery of basic grammatical and syntactic structures;
- Demonstrate ease in spontaneous oral expression comparable to a native speaker in pronunciation & intonation;
- Engage in conversations, simulations, oral research projects, interviews; understand/follow more complex conversations or interviews with native speakers;
- Continue diagnostic phonetic drill and increase ability to self-correct all pronunciation;
- Use compound tenses, the subjunctive & conditional, the passe simple, colloquial & idiomatic expressions, interjections;
- Discuss/debate French politics & the political system, discuss the world of work;
- Take dictation; write reports, reviews, narratives, letters;
- Write resumes of short texts, use internet for research, discuss film & video, etc.
- As demonstrated by submitting a portfolio to BCC for final evaluation which will include:
- A journal, written in French, of all activities on a daily, bi-weekly, or other regular basis;
- A notebook of daily class activities including periodic evaluation results and written work;
- Verification of attendance and final evaluation of host institution, submitted separately to BCC by approved host institution;
- Results of exit interview conducted in French by BCC instructor.