HCI 310 Essentials of Healthcare Informatics • 5 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2021
Foundations of Healthcare Informatics • 5 Cr.
Examines the role of healthcare informatics in improving healthcare quality and safety. Covers electronic health records, health information exchange, consumer information needs, global health, public health informatics, and clinical information systems. Also looks at trends in health information technologies at the organizational and patient level. Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program, or permission of instructor. Previously HCTM 310.
Description starting Summer 2021
This course covers the range of topics that are included in healthcare informatics. A key topic covered is the types of information technology found in healthcare organizations, including electronic health records, supply chain, financial systems, and other systems that support healthcare technology. Another subject reviewed is types of data used in healthcare that support standards, interoperability, analytics, master data management, and population health. These topics are applied in the areas of quality, usability, process, leadership, and change management. This course provides the framework for understanding how these topics relate to each other and are applied in healthcare informatics. Prerequisite: Admission to any baccalaureate program at Bellevue College.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Assess core competencies for healthcare informatics professionals
- Evaluate current status and emerging trends in healthcare informatics
- Articulate the general functions, purposes and benefits of health information systems in various healthcare settings
- Analyze issues encountered when securing provider and consumer acceptance of health information exchange
- Appraise the role of usability in adoption of electronic health records
- Demonstrate critical reading skills through focused reading in healthcare informatics
- Describe how health data is used to improve quality and safety of patient care