HCI 380 Healthcare Code Sets & Clinical Terminologies • 5 Cr.
Covers structured terminology systems currently in use in healthcare settings, including medical, nursing, laboratory and other allied health terminologies. Includes historical development and use of terminologies, revision processes, use in electronic health records as well as requirements for statistical reporting. Prerequisites: HCI 310 and HCI 315 with the grades of C or higher, or permission of the instructor. Previously HCTM 380.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss uses of healthcare terminologies and code sets in electronic health records (EHR)
- Analyze the components of structured terminologies currently used in healthcare
- Explain legislative requirements for use of structured terminologies in healthcare
- Compare and contrast structure of medical, nursing, and allied health terminologies
- Summarize development, structure, and use of selected healthcare terminologies and code sets
- Select the appropriate terminology system for a given healthcare requirement
- Fall 2019 (current quarter)