HCI 380 Healthcare Code Sets & Clinical Terminologies • 5 Cr.
You've heard of medical terminology but what about structured terminology systems? Medical vocabularies, classification systems, and code sets represent everything from a medical diagnosis, to how much a patient is billed for the service they received. They are used in a variety of healthcare settings, including medical, nursing, laboratory, and allied health. In this course, we look at several terminologies, classification systems, and code sets including their historical development, revision process, and how and when they are used in healthcare systems, billing, and reporting. Prerequisite: Admission to any baccalaureate program at BC.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss uses of healthcare terminologies and code sets in electronic health records (EHR)
- Analyze the components of structured terminologies currently used in healthcare
- Explain legislative requirements for use of structured terminologies in healthcare
- Compare and contrast structure of medical, nursing, and allied health terminologies
- Summarize development, structure, and use of selected healthcare terminologies and code sets
- Select the appropriate terminology system for a given healthcare requirement