HCML 375 Project Management for Healthcare • 5 Cr.
Examines project management theory and practice with emphasis on project management in healthcare settings. Students will evaluate tools used to develop and manage healthcare projects common for the healthcare manager and apply appropriate tools for developing a project based on a case study. Either HCML 375 or HCI 375 may be taken for credit, not both. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the project management roles and responsibilities of the healthcare manager
- Describe and adjust to the key complexities in healthcare that make application of traditional project management techniques difficult
- Evaluate the process groups and knowledge areas defined by PMI's Project Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOK), assess how each is applied and why each is important for effective healthcare project management.
- Evaluate examples of successful and unsuccessful healthcare projects and predict key problem areas
- Explain the relationship between project management, portfolio management, and program management.
- Develop a healthcare related project plan following appropriate steps