HCML 440 Business Planning in Healthcare • 5 Cr.
Covers planning and developing a business venture within the healthcare industry. Includes plan development, pro-forma budget, estimates of market audience and planning, sources of financing, tracking response and success. Case studies are used to bring a contextual focus on specific departments and organizations in the healthcare industry. Previously RAIM 440. Prerequisites: RAIM 401 or HCML 401 with a C or better and admission to the program, or permission of Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
• Analyze the essential elements of a business plan and define associated terminology
• Develop a business plan including the essential elements
• Evaluate risk to the existing operations associated with business scenarios in the healthcare industry
• Develop presentation and supporting material to present a business scenario concept to various stakeholders and potential investors
• Assess legal, ethical and conflict-of-interest issues that may relate to the business scenario in the healthcare industry
• Debate key elements in the selection of the management team for healthcare organizations