HD 131 Understanding Personal Relationships • 2 Cr.
Explores personal growth through the development of interpersonal skills. Facilitates learning and growth in areas of cultural awareness and appreciation of differences, respectful communication resolution of interpersonal conflict.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate the qualities necessary in establishing and maintaining interpersonal relationships.
- Achieve an increased awareness of self and be able to appreciate her/his individual uniqueness.
- Identify successful communication styles and use them appropriately in an effort to function more effectively in interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrate how to achieve balance between emotional control and emotional expression.
- Understand the essential elements of dealing with interpersonal conflict in a constructive manner.
- Demonstrate some of the processes for identifying and prioritizing values that are essential for establishing a lifestyle with meaning and purpose.
- Demonstrate an increased awareness of the key elements involved in establishing and maintaining friendships and love relationships.
- Demonstrate an understanding of learning theory as it relates to relationships with others.
- Recognize the key qualities essential to change behavior patterns identified by the student as undesirable.
- Demonstrate an increased awareness in goal-setting skills in order to plan life in the desired direction.