HD 190 Staying on Track • V1-5 Cr.
Helps students of color and students from nontraditional backgrounds succeed in college. Students develop skills needed to reach their educational objectives and to enhance their personal and cultural identity. Prerequisite: Permission of instructor.
This course is designed to assist students of color and students from non-traditional backgrounds to succeed in college.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Comprehend and develop a plan to achieve educational success.
- Comprehend and identify different learning styles.
- Understand their own learning style and develop congruent study skills and practices that compliment their own individual style.
- Analyze and apply (Sedlacek's eight non-cognitive) factors for educational and career success.
- Describe specific methods to:
- Improve ability to recall information.
- Improve comprehension.
- Read with improved retention.
- Prepare for and take tests with improved confidence.
- Take effective notes.
- Present clear written and oral reports.
- Define freedom to include personal time, time for study, work and other things that are important.