HPM 340 Lifestyle Wellness Coaching • 5 Cr.
Defines the art and science of lifestyle coaching. Examines diverse methodologies, coaching principles, counseling skills and techniques used to guide individuals and groups successfully through meaningful lifestyle changes. Prerequisite: Admission to the Health Promotion and Management program, or permission of the Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define and compare lifestyle/wellness coaching to counseling, advising and/or prescribing.
- Evaluate social, economic, ethnic, racial, language and environmental factors to assess academic readiness and influence changes in health behavior.
- Compare and illustrate coaching methodologies, principles, strategies and treatment approaches to motivate and maintain client adherence.
- Identify and interpret information from local, state and national regulatory bodies to ensure compliance of initiatives, requirements and mandates.
- Develop a successful coaching style using appropriate modes of delivery • Describe safe screening procedures and indicators for client external referral.