INDES 390 Interior Building Systems • 5 Cr.
Introduces the physical components and performance properties of building systems and the building codes that regulate them. Topics include industry standards and resources, basic physical properties of building materials, typical building construction systems, mechanical and electrical systems, and application of interior building codes. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Accurately identify, describe and compare basic building construction materials and finishes, their characteristics, installation methods, applications, etc.; for example: composition of concrete, its strengths and weaknesses, how it is placed, typical uses
- Incorporate accurate trade vocabulary about building materials and processes into written and oral communication with design professionals, clients, and others; for example: in written specifications or drawing notes
- Research, analyze and effectively use a variety of resources to gather information about building materials and methods; for example: manufacturers' information, trade organizations, standards and testing institutes, etc.
- Present and apply the standard classification system for organization and description of building materials, methods, and specifications; for example: when researching information about a building product or writing a simple materials specification
- Identify and critically analyze the appropriateness and installation of construction materials in existing examples of the local built environment; for example: by completing a case study analysis
- Evaluate the specification and use of materials in the built environment that are consistent with their physical, functional, and aesthetic properties; justify choices made and incorporate those evaluations into a case study analysis of existing examples of the local built environment
- Document basic building infrastructure and materials information by incorporating that information into drawings following industry standards and best practices; for example: by completing a simple wall section
- Present an analysis of the ways in which building codes are applied to interior architecture in all phases of the interior design process and discuss emerging trends in life safety, energy and construction codes Assess examples of building materials and construction from a sustainability perspective
- Analyze complex building construction systems, including mechanical and electrical systems based on building function and principles, and identify critical decisions that were made in the design and construction phases