INDES 440 Design Research • 5 Cr.
Focuses on methods for research, problem identification, and qualitative analysis of built environment contexts. Prepares students to pursue an individualized thesis inquiry of interior design issues and solutions in Capstone Design Studios. Prerequisites: Admission to BAA program and upper-division studios. INDES 381 with a C or better. ENGL 201 or ENGL& 235.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Create a focused design thesis topic by assessing relevant experiences and perspectives.
- Identify and develop a visual-spatial design intent that provides suitable direction and purpose for an interior design thesis project.
- Identify and evaluate design attributes with potential to effectively transform or modify the characteristics of a visual-spatial design intent.
- Conduct case study research to identify and critically evaluate built environment precedents relevant to a specific design intent.
- Apply theoretical knowledge and conclusions of case study research to identify unique visual-spatial vernacular for creatively expressing a design intent.
- Synthesize thesis intent, case study research, and summary conclusions in written and visual documentation to describe the parameters of a thesis inquiry and capstone design project.